Continued from Part 1.
I am going to attempt to give some post-apocalyptic va-va-voom to toy castle components that look like those above. Left to right is a tower, a wall, another tower and a gate section. In total I have four gate sections, twelve wall sections and sixteen towers.
All of the pieces are made from expanded, beaded polystyrene and so are very light, but unsuitable for spray painting, which will melt that material.
As noted earlier, the parts were hand painted with a mix of black emulsion (latex) paint and some filler back in the mid 1990s.
The first step in 2011 was to decide what colour to hand paint the castle. I didn’t want a pedestrian and realistic brownish grey as I wanted to remove the the look of the finished product from that of a real castle as much as practically possible.
Blues, greens, purples and the like would give a finish that looks a bit too fantasy for my tastes, a bit too concept album cover, a bit too “Heavy Metal”.
I considered a yellowish/brown but the board that I play on is black with a drybrush of Raw Sienna so I feared that the castle would blend in too much if it was the same or similar colour. I also wanted to crudely “weather” the bottom of the castle walls with the game board colour once the fort was complete. That wouldn’t work if it was the same colour to start with.
So after some indecision and in a weird bit of parallel evolution with the foam rocks that I chopped up and sprayed on the same day, I decided to go for a red oxide colour. This rust like colour fit with some of the notions and references that I had in mind with a large amount of rusty scrap and wreckage materials involved in the forts imaginary construction. I hope that it works out, but at this point it is too early to know for sure.
Therefore I overbrushed the whole thirty two sections with a Red Oxide acrylic. I then mixed the red oxide with a little emulsion off white and drybrushed some of the upper areas a little, just to give a small bit of contrast.
I had trouble taking photos that show the colour properly. Indoor, night time and artificial lighting made the whole thing look a lot more orange than it does in reality Im afraid. Therefore the work in progress shots are all going to look a bit off. Hopefully I will be able to get some halfway decent shots in once it is complete.
At this stage I took the cloth off the table and set up one quarter of the fort on the gaming surface, just out of curiosity to see how it looked against it.
The colour doesn’t look brilliant with the table I think, but I think that it is within acceptable parameters (plus it’s a crappy washed out photo).
Not that I had any choice at that stage: I was unwilling to to repaint the whole thing yet again. The emphasis here had to be to finish a project that had been in various half finished states for years, by hook or by crook.
The look of the final model will hopefully be quite different anyway, between a wash or two here and there and the addition of some other elements to break up the redness. Fingers crossed.
Also at this stage I set up all thirty two castle pieces as a perimeter wall with bastion. I did this mainly because I think it looks cool and I wanted to see what it looked like now that it was brownish red. If nothing else it should give readers an idea of the area that the fort occupies. Due to the number of towers it reminds me a little of a shot from the Assassins Creed video game.
The table that the model sits on is 4 x 8’. Also bear in mind that the little grey thing in the foreground is an EM4 plastic trooper. Fully assembled the fort occupies approx 3 x 3’, which is quite big in gaming terms (as an aside I tend to think in terms of imperial measurement when looking at gaming tables and metric for everything else. That’s Warhammers fault).
That was quite enough terrain work for one Saturday afternoon (as I made the foam rocks that day too) so I went to bed.
To be continued.